Along with the rest of the world, I’ve been watching Sauron at work south of the border. But while the United States government is setting new standards for hate, the American people are setting new standards for democracy. Here are a few things which give me hope:
- The @RogueNASA and other rogue Twitter accounts dedicated to the publication of science research.
- The planned March for Science. Why didn’t we Canadians march when Prime Minister Harper clamped down on research?
- This guy’s speech, which also made me see Stranger Things as something more than a scary show my husband made me watch.
- The growing surge of newspaper subscriptions.
- And, of course, librarians who march.
Whenever the apocalypse seems nigh, I’m going to think about those librarians.
Oh, and there’s the one other side benefit of the US debacle. Now when I spout off about our BC government’s war on public education being the first step toward fascism, Min can no longer call me paranoid.