For the purposes of accountability, here are my goals for the summer:
- Convince my husband that wanting a clothesline in our backyard is not a sign that my mother and father were cousins and I grew up drinking beer instead of milk. Somehow those things are associated in his mind.
- Install a clothesline.
- Hang clothes on the clothesline and remove them before they grow mildew.
- Exceed last year’s garden production (ie. three bunches of spinach and a single pea).
- Now that I’ve been composting for a couple seasons, actually USE the compost for something.
- Shop at the farmer’s market.
- Can peaches, and enough jam for the year.
- Freeze tomatoes, berries, rhubarb, and the enormous harvest of spinach that my garden is going to produce.
- Participate in the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup with my daughter.
- Write at least one protest letter a month.
Wish me luck!
If those goals have inspired you, you can sign the Dogwood Initiative’s petition against oil tankers on the north coast here.